Module 3: Mapping
TMP Systems has developed a tool in collaboration with Bonsucro to help farmers to map their land and identify key features/assets on it. This tool allows for inexpensive farmer-led processes that combine to deliver detailed and accurate spatial data on farming operations. We are sharing this tool to develop support for its implementation, starting in the sugar sector.
Unclear and insecure land tenure creates financial and reputational risks for companies and investors that can be mitigated effectively through careful mapping processes. At the same time, good spatial mapping of farming operations and supply chains can help to facilitate more efficient operational management (e.g. maintenance of key infrastructure) and easier reporting processes (e.g. on land use/management).
The Module will allow for the participation of local land owners to provide accurate data, whilst allowing the organization to improve social relations during the mapping activities. A good map also provides a visual format to see and interrogate data quickly and as part of a wider whole.
Benefits of implementation
- Accurate and up-to-date field maps
- Reduction in land disputes
- Easy data sharing between members and organizations
- Easy identification of infrastructure
- Accurate reporting systems for infrastructure
- Lower cost mapping processes
What is in the Mapping Module?
The Module is designed to provide multiple mapping capabilities including: Geo-point; Geo-trace; Map-trace. These functions allow for line mapping or point identification either in the field or remotely on a device with a map of the local area.
The module includes the following elements and is designed for any sized farm to pick up and use quickly and efficiently:
This module has now been tested and improved at 7 sites across 6 countries in Southern and East Africa and has been implemented in some form at each of the sites. Its users have benefited from reduced risk and easier reporting processes. The use of the Module allows data to be collected that is directly relevant to multiple Standards.
How will the Module deliver impact
Stakeholders across the supply chain need much clearer and richer spatial maps to ensure and verify that they are not creating bad commercial, environmental or social outcomes. This module provides the required data in a fashion that is inexpensive and that improves field level technical capacity. This will deliver the following impacts:
- More consistent supply
- Better environmental outcomes
- Improved profile and reputation
Support needed to implement
If mills and brands / traders can support financially the relatively inexpensive installation process for this module, the module could be scaled quickly and with immediate impact. A major advantage of this Mapping module over competitors is that it’s running costs are very low, it can use any Android device already in the field and that it can integrate smoothly with existing data management systems like CanePro, Planahead or similar GIS and spreadsheet based management tools. Support needed for each production site would be:
- Designing the module to suit local conditions and requirements, particularly with regards to defining the best mapping methods for the size of field or type of infrastructure, ease of use of the module in-field and integrating data outputs into existing management systems
- Using provided materials to training scouts, supervisors and the local IT manager / local IT services provider
- Optional provision of extra hardware; smart phone devices or tablets, to increase data collection capacity
- Hosting workshop and any follow-up visits